Happy New Year!

The kids stayed up until midnight. The dog and I dozed on and off as Ryan Seacrest did his thing. Jenny McCarthy was hard to watch. We are the same age and, yowza, I hope I have slightly more self-awareness. Oh well.

Resolutions: I made a few. One is that 2013 is the start of a new chapter. No looking back.

Another one is that I'm going to start using and enjoying the things I own. I keep buying more clothes because I always have nothing to wear. In reality, I have lots of things to wear but I don't wear them because I'm afraid of ruining my "good sweaters" in the wash or I don't want salt on my "good shoes". It's so silly: what am I saving this stuff for? Also, I'm lazy. I have all sorts of cute accessories but it's easier just to throw on the same uniform of jeans, tank and sweater every day. I put on a watch but I'm too lazy to even change my earrings. I'm going to try to not wear jeans for the entire month of January and wear some form of accessory. This, along with a tartan headband, was today's pick (note, this is the very attractive and young Banana Republic Model, not me!)

Jan 1 Outfit

Photo credit: Banana Republic featuring cashmere cable sweater, skinny cord

I'm going to do my hair and not just scrunch it in a knot while it's still half-wet. I might try a new colour. I love the ombre thing. And lipgloss: I resolve to apply lipgloss throughout the day instead of just a quick swipe first thing in the morning. It sounds silly but these small kindnesses to one's self are important.

I made an austerity budget last night. And I'm going to stick to it. Today I spent not one sou. Now, I realize all the stores were closed so it's not like this was particularly challenging, but still, it's nice to start with success.

I also want to relax for 20 totally non-productive minutes each day. Today, I grabbed a chance to read through the February issue of Veranda while the kids were engrossed in Rudolph's Shiny New Year on TV. Have you seen the piece titled, Fine Strokes? Oh kittens! What a gorgeous apartment filled with art by Degas, Bonnard, Vuillard, and Morisot. I alternated between wanting to lick the pages of the magazine and weep with envy. Gorgeous! The nice thing about coveting a multi-million dollar art collection is that there is very little chance it will lead you on a spending spree. If, on the other hand, you covet the latest Ikea hack on Pinterest, there is a very good chance you will find yourself in your car driving to Burlington with your Visa card and Allen key in hand...

Oh, and finally, I'm going to lay off the ketchup chips. I decided this at about 11:00pm when I was having trouble scrubbing the red dye off my fingers. Disgraceful!

I hope y'all had a Happy New Year and that 2013 is a banner year for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, darling!

Life's a beach

After a whole lot of packing and driving and putting together furniture and dealing with the water, this is what it's all about... ...