Life lessons from age 41


Yup, I'm 41. What a year it has been.

I woke up to some lovely gifts from my kidlets.

My daughter clearly knows how much I love plaid! She also used part of her Claire's gift certificate to buy me a beautiful mother/daughter necklace. If any of you have a 9 year old girl, you'll know what a big deal it is to receive something from Claire's!

I immediately put on my half of the necklace with today's outfit:

Jan 4 outfit

Photo Credit: J Crew Frenchie Sweater (sold out), Bvlgari Leather Bracelet (sold out) via Polyvore[/caption]

OK, so birthdays - especially those so close to New Year's Day - always trigger some introspection. So, life lessons from age 40:

1. Don't ignore that little voice in your head. Not sure if it's intuition or God or what, but it's never wrong.

2. You need to be the hero of your own story. As Anna Quindlen wrote: "I read and walked for miles at night along the beach, writing bad blank verse and searching endlessly for someone wonderful who would step out of the darkness and change my life. It never crossed my mind that that person could be me."

3. It's always darkest before the dawn.

4. It's OK to ask for help.

5. Prayer works.

6. People will surprise you. In bad ways and good.

7. To paraphrase Anne Lamott, never compare your inside to other people's outside: you have no idea what they are facing behind closed doors.

8. God can redeem anything. Absolutely anything.

As a birthday gift from me to me, I have signed up for the Crossroads Lead with Love Women's Conference in February  (they had me at shopping and  chocolate fondue!) Besides, one of my favourite people, Melinda Estabrooks, is championing this event.

I'm going to spend my birthday weekend hanging out en famille, skiing (the parents are going to be bulldog sitting for the day), and eating good food (I've planned some healthy meals and need to do a Whole Foods run.) I hope y'all have a lovely weekend too!


4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday and this was a beautiful post, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen! Happy belated! Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying your return to blogging. Missed reading your words. This post was especially good - after all we all have birthdays coming up at some point that are (un)fortunately 40-something :)
    Hope our paths can cross this year.

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated Happy Birthday Jen! Thank you for commenting so I could find you. I am enjoying reading through your posts. I'm not going in order, story of my life, but getting the picture of a very thoughtful, strong, lovely woman. I look forward to learning more. Best,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. As another Jennifer whose name has been usurped by a celebrity, I thought we might be kindred spirits! Happy new year

      Delete

Thank you, darling!

Happy Saturday and makeup picks!

Hope you are all having a great week. It's been rainy-gloomy here. I want it to snow already! I have my snow tires on and my four whee...