Yup, I'm 41. What a year it has been.
I woke up to some lovely gifts from my kidlets.
My daughter clearly knows how much I love plaid! She also used part of her Claire's gift certificate to buy me a beautiful mother/daughter necklace. If any of you have a 9 year old girl, you'll know what a big deal it is to receive something from Claire's!
I immediately put on my half of the necklace with today's outfit:
Photo Credit: J Crew Frenchie Sweater (sold out), Bvlgari Leather Bracelet (sold out) via Polyvore[/caption]
OK, so birthdays - especially those so close to New Year's Day - always trigger some introspection. So, life lessons from age 40:
1. Don't ignore that little voice in your head. Not sure if it's intuition or God or what, but it's never wrong.
2. You need to be the hero of your own story. As Anna Quindlen wrote: "I read and walked for miles at night along the beach, writing bad blank verse and searching endlessly for someone wonderful who would step out of the darkness and change my life. It never crossed my mind that that person could be me."
3. It's always darkest before the dawn.
4. It's OK to ask for help.
5. Prayer works.
6. People will surprise you. In bad ways and good.
7. To paraphrase Anne Lamott, never compare your inside to other people's outside: you have no idea what they are facing behind closed doors.
8. God can redeem anything. Absolutely anything.
As a birthday gift from me to me, I have signed up for the Crossroads Lead with Love Women's Conference in February (they had me at shopping and chocolate fondue!) Besides, one of my favourite people, Melinda Estabrooks, is championing this event.
I'm going to spend my birthday weekend hanging out en famille, skiing (the parents are going to be bulldog sitting for the day), and eating good food (I've planned some healthy meals and need to do a Whole Foods run.) I hope y'all have a lovely weekend too!