Nesting Hackney Style

One of the passages of scripture that gave me much comfort is Psalm 84:3:
Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young--a place near your altar, O LORD Almighty, my King and my God.
The image of even the sparrow being blessed with a nest to raise her young has stuck with me and is why house and home has become so important to me over the past little while.

Or at least, I'd like to think there was some spiritual grounding for my sudden desire to add a bunch of fun throw pillows into the mix.

I had lots of nice pillows but they were getting old and a bit worn. I kept the feather inserts but replaced my yellow raw silk covers with a pair of electric pink House of Hackney beauties from Elli Mae Designs. And I replaced the plain black velvet covers with one leopard velvet beauty from Arianna Belle and one that is still on its way.

I'm playing around with where they should go - the leopard can go anywhere as it's pretty neutral (yes, in my world, leopard is a neutral...) The hot pink numbers are taking more trial and error.

(Ok, primo example of Reversal-of-Fortune Chic is insisting on filling a 150 square foot dining room with a large sprayed-silver oak dining room/kitchen table, 4 ghost chairs, a china cabinet, a piano, and an ornate carved striped-velvet chair. I used to have my Christmas tree in there too. Yikes!)

It's funny, this is the first house I've owned that I'm so interested in styling since I lived in an old Victorian house in the city. Maybe it's because I once again have a funny old house with lots of character, or maybe it's just where my head is right now. At any rate, I'm having fun. I sort of feel like me again. Marian Keyes wrote a lovely cookbook called Saved by Cake that talked about how baking helped her get over an episode with depression. I think I'll have to write my own survival story one day - 'Saved by Pillows' makes a good working title, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, darling!

Happy Saturday and makeup picks!

Hope you are all having a great week. It's been rainy-gloomy here. I want it to snow already! I have my snow tires on and my four whee...