Frugal Friday: Spring Runway on a Dime and some DIY

So, I spent three hours getting my hair colour fixed today, hence the late post. I'd liked my ombre for the first few weeks but the ends started to frizz out from over-processing and then the brown started to pull red. Argh! I now know that it's a technique that needs to be done by a colourist with lots of experience in the area. I needed big time help so I ran to a new colourist and I'm now highlighted ash and butter blonde and I had them take off about four inches and add a long bang a la Jenna Elfman:

But, of course, corrective work is not cheap (even though it was half the price of what I've paid in the city), so thank heavens it's Frugal Friday.

Last night I was at a little private shopping event at Tocca Finita with the ladies before a few of us headed over to a pub to wish the beloved school principal adieu and welcome his successor. Tocca had gorgeous pieces. Loved the stuff by Marie Saint Pierre.

The MSP Kellich dress was insanely good, but the price made it far more suitable for Wish List Wednesdays.

I did manage to find this affordable goodness. It's a blush lace shell that's made in Italy by Montreal company Frederick Ian. It channels the pale floral yumminess that is Naeem Khan's and Valentino's 2013 spring ready-to-wear collections.

It's on sale on the Frederick Ian site for $24 but only in ivory or black. For blush you have to pay $55, which is still a steal.

For frugal design, this week I did a little DI Why. I'd been promising my daughter a more tween-looking room since we moved and she wanted some curtains to divide her tiny perfect room into a sleeping space and an entertaining space (she is what one calls an optimist!) I bought some Ikat Cynthia Rowley curtains at Homesense for $24, and 2 cafe rods (marked down to $2.77 each at Home Depot) and 4 cup hooks (about $5.00). The ceiling is popcorn over plaster so it was some trick getting them up but I managed it with a drill and a whole lot of
cursingpatience.

I then bought a zebra-print duvet cover at Jysk for $16.99. I normally hate disposable furnishings or fashion but I'd rather reserve the D. Porthault linens for people who are not tempted to paint their nails "rainbow" while sitting on the bed. I also got an ikat pillow at Winners that was downfilled and had been marked from $80 down to $12.

The whole bedroom is really fun now and it was a bargoon to transform the space for under $75. Next, I will have to freshen up my son's room although he still seems happy with the cars and planets thing.

Serena was miffed that she was left out of the festivities, but we'll make up for it by spoiling her on the weekend.


Enjoy your weekend, kids.



2 comments:

  1. Love the new 'do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We have to get together in person some time. Summer reunion?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, darling!

See Hear Love Taping

Happy Monday! Teddy says hello! He loves to chew on just about everything, but his favourites seem to be LL Bean's Wicked Good Sl...