Happy Monday

Great weekend. Skiing, a birthday party, some errands, church, brunch, and the kick off of The Bible Series on the History channel. The series is really well done. It's pretty ambitious to try to fit the entire bible into a ten hour show but so far they are doing a great job. And they are being quite savvy in getting around some of the messier points of theology so that it is an inclusive series rather than divisive. I'm so pleased. Now, content-wise, I've always had trouble with the Old Testament. I mean, what's up with Abraham? I'm guessing Isaac needed mucho therapy after that whole thing. And Lot's wife. Yikes. The best explanation I have of that particular passage is in Mended, the book I'm reading with the book club. Of Lot's wife, author Angie Smith writes:
We don't ever learn her name, but her legacy is one of looking back. She has been rescued from death, from sin and depravity, and there is something that still haunts her enough to stop her from moving towards whatever is ahead.

God wants us to move forward. The Bible series shows us that in full special effects glory. As Smith writes,
"...there is a reason you left that life behind. It has been swallowed by grace. And you need not miss what He has for you by believing there is something going back for. Leave it be. There Lord has told you where to go and it's time to walk."

Amen. Anyhow, I can't wait until the New Testament part comes along, which is in keeping with my theology: bring on Jesus.

So, today is Magazine Monday but first I just had to show off a card I picked up at Interior Design House (they are having a 20% off everything sale for the entire month of March, so I picked up couple of cards plus a piece I'll discuss in more detail one Frugal Friday.) How I love the cards from Tokyo-Milk:

It reads,
Seriously, I heard it from Emma, who heard it from Eloise, who overheard Darcy tell Raphael that at last year's party, she snuck in a 5th, 2 6 packs, 3 shanks of mutton and the Flannigan brothers under her petticoat.

Sounds a little like Badminton night and it made me laugh.

OK, so, the new issue of Veranda. Fabulous, right? If you've never read it before, run out right now and fetch yourself a copy. Gosh, that's a beautiful magazine. It seems like it sort of came from nowhere and is now this major publication. I can see why: the quality of it is amazing. So, here are my favourite pieces from the April issue:


Century Home's Chantal ottoman. Hello. Talk about glamourous. If I had one inch of room left (and an extra $2000) in my newly glamourized boudoir, I'd be all over this Dorothy Draper-esque puppy. Last week, there was a piece in Molly's Back Porch on Ottawa Street that you could have plated and reupholstered to hack this look at a fraction of the price. Tempting.

Next fab thing was the little article about the Impressionism, Fashion and Modernity exhibit at the Met.  Suddenly have a very strong desire to go for a weekend in NYC. Some of the ladies were talking about a girls' weekend - I think I'm going to have to get on that!

And my favourite piece was Danielle Rollins's Atlanta house designed by Miles Redd. Love love love! Look at the Bird Room (above.) The Chinoiserie. The tiger-y goodness. No reversal of fortune here. I love to start my week with some pretty. I figure if the sweet Lord did not want us to enjoy electric colour, sumptuous fabrics and good design, we'd have a black and white world where everything is rough and scratchy.

So that's all for today, folks. Until tomorrow,

1 comment:

  1. [...] I am tackling chapter 5-8 of Angie Smith’s book, Mended, with the group from (in)courage. Last week, I mentioned that in Chapter Six, Smith discusses the story of Lot’s wife, who God turns into [...]

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, darling!

Life's a beach

After a whole lot of packing and driving and putting together furniture and dealing with the water, this is what it's all about... ...