Theatrical Thursday: Green with Envy

So yesterday I opened up my bank account for my decorating and home decor business. This is all starting to feel quite real. It's early days since I plan to get through school before really going full tilt on this one but it's still exciting.

So, today is theatrical Thursday. One of my favourite books in the world is Great Expectations. I love Miss Havisham and Estella. So complicated and proof positive that forgiveness, rather than collapsing into bitterness, is the only way. My favourite movie version is the 1998 one with Gwyneth Paltrow and Anne Bancroft. Yes, it pulls away from the original text in many ways. But it keeps the essence, I think, and it's such a feast for the eyes and ears (I cannot think about that film without seeing Bancroft dancing to B├ęsame Mucho in my mind.)

The imagery is slightly (ok, totally) heavy handed, but given that emerald green is the Pantone colour of the year, it still looks quite fresh. I remember being obsessed with this Donna Karen outfit of Gwynnie/Estella.

I even attempted to have one tailored in Thailand, although it did not turn out out quite the way I'd hoped.

And the set! The gorgeous, Gilded Age Ca' d'Zan dressed up in its decaying banqueted, vine-covered, jilted at the altared glory!

So beautiful. Where the acting failed, the set carried things through. I love the idea of taking one's disappointments and making them into something of beauty (not that Miss Havisham intended this, but in the film it was the end result). One of my favourite passages of scripture is Isaiah 61:3.
He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair.

And He does, which inspired my own bit of Miss Havishamnery:

I do not think that I was intended to find a Jenny Packham gown at a sample sale and half-price Emma Hope shoes to match, only to have me hide them away until I open my little summer house with a Great Gatsby-inspired soiree. Do you?



2 comments:

  1. Lovely shoes, lovely dress, gorgeous Ca' d'Zan - had no idea it was the backdrop for Great Expectations - now I have to watch. Ca' d'Zan was that lovely pile down the street from my childhood home. I heard they restored it sometime in the last 50 years! Great post, great blog. I'm reading it backwards as I play Nurse Cherry Ames to a post-op relative. Your blog is keeping me sane - it's like reading an interesting novel backwards, but it's real. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you! I hope your relative heals quickly.

      Delete

Thank you, darling!

See Hear Love Taping

Happy Monday! Teddy says hello! He loves to chew on just about everything, but his favourites seem to be LL Bean's Wicked Good Sl...