Palm Beach Chic

I hope you all had a fabulous weekend!

Here in Oakville, we finally have a day of mild temperatures and sun today. Yippee! I can get back to working on my summer house project. I hardly feel like doing so when it's freezing and rainy. I've purchased all the furniture and accessories and just have to paint and (if I decide to go this route), stencil the carpet.

And when it's all done, I'd like it to be a place where I can serve Pimm's and lemonade, wearing the Lilly Pulitzer Didi dress from Saks (Lilly P does not ship direct to Canada but Saks does.)




The key to recession-proofing your wardrobe and home decor is to buy pieces that are truly you, forsaking anything too trendy. You don't want to dress in costume, but it's key to explore who you really are so you don't make too many buying mistakes. Splurge on good, classic, "you" pieces when you can and they can last you years. In the long run it's cheaper than buying car-loads of disposable clothing for a few dollars per piece.

Over the years, I've found myself gravitating towards five timeless styles. Like the Chanel 2.55 bag, they are never totally in fashion (which means that prices are not obscene for what will be a temporary piece - I'm looking at you, Celine Trapeze bag) and they are never out of style (which means you can keep it for years while you rebuild your nest egg without having the decor equivalent of harem pants.)

My first love (because I have Lilly Pulitzer on the brain) is Palm Beach Chic. The Glam PadThe Pink Pagoda and Chinoiserie Chic are go-to bloggers for this style.

Grasscloth, pink and green, rattan, brass, bamboo, bar carts, ceramic dogs. Chinoiserie with a side of southern belle. Oh, and a soupçon of Hollywood regency for flavour.

Circa Who does this look better than anybody.

Look at this Fretwork Pagoda cabinet they had. I die!




Kijiji and Craigslist also yield lots of finds, although occasionally you do have to deal with the weirdo factor.

One King's Lane also has some great Palm Beach Chic goodies. I'm super bummed out that I missed out on this pillow at Ivy and Vine's sale at OKL as it would have looked divine in the Palm Beach Chic summer house.





I'm always on the hunt. Look at the adorable hammered metal ice bucket, elephant hook, and ceramic french bulldog I got from Châtelet a week ago. I got all of it for under $50.




And my monkeys were at The Singing Lady for a song (har har.)



The only thing is, you do not want to go too theme-y. This is a home, not a bridal shower. After a couple of G&Ts, a sea of pink and bright green might start to overwhelm.

Are you making snide comments about my new glasses? 

I'll be writing a lot about how to incorporate this style into your life. And over the next week, I'll be highlighting the other styles I love:

Country Club Traditional

English Eccentric

Parisian Glamour

Bohemian Elegance

I know that lots of people like french country or minimalist or goth. That's lovely, but you'll have to go elsewhere. Perhaps Marilyn Manson has a blog.

In the interim, keep safe kiddos. And if you see any vintage Lilly maxi dresses for sale, let me know!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, darling!

See Hear Love Taping

Happy Monday! Teddy says hello! He loves to chew on just about everything, but his favourites seem to be LL Bean's Wicked Good Sl...