Holidazed

For the last few days, I've been sick as a dog.



Luckily, we were able to decorate before I was felled by the dreaded lurgy, so at least my view from the sofa has been pretty:










I've spent an inordinate amount of time lying on the sofa watching made-for-TV Christmas movies. Holidaze, 12 Trees of Christmas, 12 Men of Christmas, Let it Snow: you name it, I've watched it. The plot is often similar: worldly, driven, urban career woman goes to picturesque small town on a business trip and ends up falling in love with the slower pace and the local cowboy/fireman/carpenter. It's a sort of reverse Cinderella story where transformation occurs through an aesthetically pleasing version of turn on, tune in and drop out.  Since I'm not a big fan of traditional Cinderella stories any more (if you are still waiting for your Prince Charming, I recommend you read Not to People Like Us: Hidden Abuse in Upscale Marriages) I quite like these movies in spite of the saccharine and schmaltz.

There is something so appealing about simplifying one's life. On Sunday, when I think I was spiking a fairly high fever, I toyed with the idea of getting rid of all but 10 pieces of clothing like some "live like a chic Parisian woman" articles urge one to do. I've consigned or given away half my wardrobe and yet my closets are stuffed to the point where I tend to wear the same things over and over again because it's too much bother to search through the mess. It might be very freeing to have a uniform to wear. I'm thinking black and white and chic all over.


Ines de la Fressange: the original minimalist chic icon /via/

Something to think about for 2014…

Stay warm,

{PS. Comments are back on per the request of B&P: I daren't face the wrath of The Leatherine.}






4 comments:

  1. ... but not on the above post ('Of Things Past'), for which I wanted to say, 'Thank you.' It spoke more to me than you can know.

    Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Philippa, Thank you so much for commenting. Glad the post resonated with you. That's why I've gone back to blogging - so we can all feel a bit less alone. And yes, I am slowly but surely on the mend. Now if only I can figure out how I can get my comments to turn on permanently once again!

      Delete
    2. Hold the bah humbug and minimalist wardrobe only impoverishes your dry cleaner. I like the pup. '14 will be an uptick. Promise.

      Delete
  2. GSL, Oh I do hope so on the '14 front. Happy holidays and thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, darling!

Happy Saturday and makeup picks!

Hope you are all having a great week. It's been rainy-gloomy here. I want it to snow already! I have my snow tires on and my four whee...