Curated Dressing: The First Eight Weeks

First up, I'm in search of a 30" gas range/hob/stove/player-to-be-named-later. If you are in love with your cooker, I've love to hear about it in the comments or directly.

As you might know, I've been doing this whole French-inspired, reduced wardrobe thing over the past couple of months. I thought I'd commit to an eight-week cycle of my edited deep winter wardrobe before allowing myself to pull in new pieces. While I have not been diligent in recording how often I wear pieces - and I have tried to wear most of them - it's become clear that I have a few favourites.

First: the rules of the game. I only allowed myself to dress from the pieces on my rolling rack. While a 10 item wardrobe (the original goal) sounded delightfully simple, I allowed myself more than 10 pieces because it became clear early on that I'm not a minimalist. My object was not to get rid of everything, but rather to wear everything I had and try to slay the want monster that emerges when it feels like I have nothing to wear. I wanted to determine what pieces I loved so I could reduce the size of my closet (I have two closets in my room, but I want to do a small reno at some point and give half that space to my daughter who is closet-deficient.) Quite a few winter things made their way to the giveaway pile as a result of this exercise.

I kept a mix of high and low-priced items: Ralph Lauren, Escada, Brooks Brothers, J Crew, Eric Bompard, Brora, Ferragamo, Citizens of Humanity, Hermes, CHRiST, H&M, Banana Republic, and Lord & Taylor.

Here is what I wore:


Navy boucle jacket, silk ruffled tank, jeans


Grey cashmere sweater, grey cashmere skirt


Grey cashmere jacket,  black cashmere short-sleeve turtleneck



Camel cashmere sweater, camel skirt


Leopard cashmere sweater, leather croc embossed skirt (I wore this the least as I literally feel like a cougar in it!)


Black velvet jacket, silk top



Black cashmere Sabrina neck sweater, B&W mohair skirt



Navy and black tweed jacket

I also added basics that will stay with me year-round: a light grey merino wool v-neck sweater, a blush cashmere sweater, a classic white button-down shirt, a white tee, dark slim jeans, black pleather skinnies, and Modern Knit Slim Pants in black and charcoal. I also played with accessories.

The pieces I wore the most (at least once a week) were two black knit dresses. This surprised me as it's a new look for me. Also, I thought black knit might not be the wisest choice as I own a small, tan, shedding dog; at least the bulldog hair is french, I suppose…

Zut alors! I resent that.

I wore this washable wool Eileen Fisher dress a lot:


And this cashmere one from Banana Republic:


They are very comfy and I've been wearing them with a myriad of scarves and shawls.

I'm not totally bored with my wardrobe for once and, given that it's still deep winter here, I will have this same collection on the go for at least another month.

I had to break character slightly for the Jamaican dinner. I wore a silk tank with a light grey sweater and my grey cashmere Escada skirt. I was the least festively-dressed person at the party, but I take a Method approach to my art...



I also jumped the season a bit by sporting Fall 2014's pale blue when I had a routine medical test.



Shameless, I know...

One of the keys, I found, to this whole look was to learn to wash cashmere well, as the dry cleaners and the delicate cycle are notoriously hard on it. I set up with a little cashmere washing station in my laundry area. The key is to have stacking drying racks, a cashmere brush and a gentle detergent.




I must say that this is a fun experiment. A couple of my friends are following suit. If all of the fast fashion retailers of Oakville go out of business, I humbly apologize!

How are you managing with your winter (or summer for those in the southern hemisphere) wardrobes? Did the fashion groundhog see his shadow for 6 more weeks of winter dressing or is it spring in your closet now?











18 comments:

  1. You really do look stunning in blue. Having been in the same clothes since October, I am looking forward to moving on to a lighter more casual way of dressing come the 'better' weather - fingers crossed.
    I can't wear leopard print at all, with my ing messy hair, I am the epitome of a cougar in it, I do however love it used in interiors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I look best in a hospital robe, I think that this simpler wardrobe thing is something I should continue to pursue! But even the lab tech commented on the colour suiting me. I too am getting to the stage of leopard only on cushions. I'm getting ma'amed far too much when I wear it out.

      Delete
  2. I hear there is a home dry cleaning kit that is like dry cleaning but softer and weaker that one of my friends swear by but i think you can get it only in the US. Handwashing cashmere always leaves it limp I find and yet I don't like the health issues with dry cleaning either...

    I can't believe how streamlined and on point you are being - very nice! It must feel good to be so disciplined!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to look into that home dry cleaning. So far hand washing is working fairly well but I want to find something milder for silks as I too hate strong chemicals. I'm so over the quantity approach to living that the streamlining feels good. I still have a long way to go, though!

      Delete
  3. Obviuosly Serena has you vamping up your game as it's not just anybody who can rock a hospital robe.
    My Estella is very big into Eileen Fisher (too much so I think) and they do several things very well with your selection being one. Incidentally we recently found out our old schoolmate is EF's Artistic Director.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a fun job! And yes, they do a good black knit dress.

      Delete
  4. I always wash my cashmere. The smell of dry cleaning fluid give me a headache, and they never seem quite as clean as when I do it the old fashioned way. I use a cleanser I get at knitting shops for hand knits. It works pretty well, but your bottle looks prettier. Very nice capsule wardrobe. I still haven't culled mine down, but it's in the thinking stage. That blue is very fetching on you. I wore it this week also! So glamorous. I was just startng to think of spring clothes, when it turned nasty and rainy, so it's black and more black for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are still getting snow here. So very depressing!

      Delete
  5. You're a good cashmere Mum. I always just send them to the cleaners and hope for the best. usually everything comes back just as dirty but smelling of chemicals. Love your selfie face at the drs - plus you suit that pale blue!! Love our electric induction Gaggenau stovetop, its called, flush with the bench and easy to clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the stovetop shoutout. I cannot believe how many options are available. Mind-boggling!

      Delete
    2. Hi Jen, just zeroing back to say hi and hope you're well and take another gander at clothes hung up, like wardrobe p*rn

      Delete
  6. I can't believe you were heading for 10 items, that really is an exercise in restraint, puts me to shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10 was pretty ambitious. I don't have the discipline for it.

      Delete
  7. Jen I love your wardrobe! All of those outfits are so perfect. You are looking very sharp and pretty which is extremely difficult while living in the polar vortex.
    I haven't been getting any of your post updates, I need to make sure I'm following properly. What else have I missed? xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard with the vortex. I've tried to do wool coats most days but a few days pull out the big brown sleeping bag jacket that stands up on its own and requires it's own closet. Horrible!

      Delete
  8. Hi Jen~I'm just catching up after a trip and a bought with the flu-ugh! I'm loving the challenge you are doing and I like your style. You have some fun outfits here. I've been going through a less is more phase myself lately...so less shopping...except for the shoes-they are always my weakness (I see they are your too;).
    xx, Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, shoes: haven't the moral fibre to tackle that category. Hope you are feeling better!

      Delete
  9. Jen you have inspired me - have cleaned most if it out for the next couple of months and am doing the Madame chic thing - sort of. I love hVing few choices!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, darling!

Happy Saturday and makeup picks!

Hope you are all having a great week. It's been rainy-gloomy here. I want it to snow already! I have my snow tires on and my four whee...