Hearts and lambs

Another slightly bumpy weekend. Some good things: good news from my publisher, date night, and more evidence that evil is punished in the end. Some not good things: a sad anniversary, and ever-present ice and snow. Plus, I was absolutely exhausted from Ladies' Day at someone's Ski Club: I'm too old for these types of shenanigans.

This weekend, I immersed myself in a diet of restorative self-care. In my wanderings online and off, I came across the best article on post-trauma living that I've read to date. In A New Normal: Ten Things I've Learned About Trauma, Catherine Woodiwiss writes on the Sojourners blog about her own experiences dealing with a near-fatal car accident and her sister's death. She emphasizes the importance of community in dealing with trauma:
Trauma is a disfiguring, lonely time even when surrounded in love; to suffer through trauma alone is unbearable.

The ever-wise David Brooks expands on her piece in his article, The Art of Presence, and talks about the importance of a "ministry of presence" after trauma. For me, it was not the event itself that was so hard to bear (although it was) but the aftermath of people's reactions. If you've endured hardship or, more importantly, if you know someone who has, you need to read this piece. Every single church leader and not-for-profit head needs to read this article too: if compassion is not innate, perhaps it can be taught.

On the positive side, it's almost Valentine's Day. It has always been my favourite holiday from an aesthetics perspective. Red, pink, hearts, flowers: it's the Marie Antoinette of occasions.

/via/

I was reading an old copy of Vogue when I was in foils at the hairdresser (I'm after this look…)

/via/

And I was excited to see that Dior has a Marie Antoinette-inspired spring makeup collection. Parfait!



Thankfully, it was spend-your-loyalty-points-on-cosmetics weekend at the drug store so indulging in a little spring maquillage did not cost me one sou. I bought the Perlé nail polish, which dries to a matte porcelain finish, as well as some eye shadow and lip gloss.

The collection was inspired by Marie Antoinette's little summer palace, Petit Trianon, and its neighbouring hamlet. It has me totally wanting to redo my summer house to make it all faux farmhouse.

/via/

Instead of ribbon-festooned lambs gamboling around the gardens, I could have my beribboned Serena.

I only agreed to this bow because she said there'd be gambling.

Bring on spring...

16 comments:

  1. 'Publishers and date night' sounds very glamorous, sad anniversaries however have that cruel way of playing with time and taking us back to the fateful moment, I am going to go and read the link, it sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wish I could get my hands on that Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind technology...

      Delete
  2. Serena, even sans bow & gambling, looks to be the perfect elixir for melancholy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe evil does get its karmic reward in the end, but it doesn't help with our recovery from trauma. Your restorative self-care weekend sounds like just the right way to help pass a sad anniversary. Support is so very crucial. I find people are embarrassed to mention the "incident", so don't say anything, which leaves the elephant in the room sitting smack dab in the middle of my chest. Pretty new cosmetics, encouraging news from your publisher and some time in the salon all sound perfect. Enjoy your week. Heading up to read the links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm rather familiar with that elephant. We have much in common.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful articles Jen! So very true. Don't compare, ever!!! Why do so many people, do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My personal favourite is when people compare it to a renovation gone bad ("I know it's not quite the same but the marble was all wrong!")

      Delete
  5. Sad anniversaries are tough to experience. Jennifer Connollys advice is so good, but sometimes I wonder when the karmic balance is going to kick in. As a young woman, I got left with a three year old, and I had no family, or support system. Friends are crucial. Adrenal fatigue is something to always keep an eye out for. Dealing with death and divorce have been really hard on me, and I believe I will always be a little bit different than people with parents, and husbands, and thats o.k. One learns to adapt, and things take time. You seem to be on a great track,and dealing with the ups and downs very very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like people get away with things for a long time, doesn't it. I find self-care is key: exercise, good food, pampering and laughter.

      Delete
  6. Not too sure about the karma thing but I think that is another post...I hope it exists though!

    I put ribbons on my brother's cockapoo as well - but she wasn't too impressed so I had to quickly snap before they got unravelled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serena is remarkably patient with me!

      I do put a lot of stock in the karma/justice/divine retribution thing but I'm very impatient.

      Delete
  7. I love your dual personality, how you can go from serious issues to make-up and Valentine's, lovely, clever writing. I'm so glad that I stumbled across your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm always afraid of giving people whiplash but I do believe that beauty can co-exist with pain.

      Delete
  8. "The ever-wise David Brooks expands on her piece in his article, The Art of Presence, and talks about the importance of a "ministry of presence" after trauma." clicking now to read... Sounds really intriguing and will send to a couple of friends who have had very sad losses. Good news about the publisher though, tell us more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The positive news is about my book, Engage the Fox, which is a fable that teaches the reader how to think critically for business. Looks like it may be on bookshelves within the year!

      Delete

Thank you, darling!

Happy Saturday and makeup picks!

Hope you are all having a great week. It's been rainy-gloomy here. I want it to snow already! I have my snow tires on and my four whee...