Deal of the day

One of my less charming readers pointed out to me that I'm not a "real single mother." Well, this was quite exciting news for me. I spent the balance of the day running around my house looking for the live-in partner or husband that must surely be hiding under the sofa cushions or in the laundry basket.

I turned up nothing but a couple of goldfish crackers and some lego. It's for the best: it might have complicated things with my lovely boyfriend. 

***

I've been zhushing a little to try to bring on spring. I've put out a few Easter pieces from the spring decor storage bin.





I put out some springy flowers in front of my little desk in the kitchen (3 bunches of tulips for $10 at Longo's!)



I've pulled out my Lilac Diptyque candle. Apparently the scent is discontinued so my lovely stockist at Soap and Water on Lakeshore (Plain and Simple Home online) gave me the unused tester when I bought the last one in stock. BOGO on Diptyque is a nice thing indeed!



***

I tried to introduce my children to the glories of Bringing Up Baby. 



They prefer The Next Step, but I do try...

***

The shopping gods were smiling on me today. I have been continuing to clean out my closet and pulled out a few pieces that I wanted to consign. When I was waiting at my favourite local consignment shop in Oakville (By Consignment), I spied a pair of pristine Ferragamo driving mocs in my size.

Tempting.

As I revealed in my "11 things about me" post, I am a pretty major germophobe. I've heard the urban legends of people scoring Chanel at their local Value Village. How nice for them: I cannot do it. I need to go where everything has been dry cleaned and steamed and some pieces are new with tags. I both buy and sell there and it's a really great way of getting some superb pieces at insta-fashion prices. 

Like these babies.



They ended up costing me $18.

Say what? 

OK, I'm cheating a little here. The shoes were $78.40. 





I got them for $18.40 because I had a $60 credit from something I'd sold previously. 

The key to selling pieces at this store is that they have to be in mint condition, only a few seasons old (or vintage pieces that are timeless in style), and a designer label (think Holt Renfrew or Saks.) The owners attend Fashion Week each year and know what they are doing. They price things to sell. Hence the attractive price on the shoes.

I love me a good driving moc. They are the shoes I wear most in the summer as they are so comfortable. These are shoes that currently retail for US$395. They look brand new, which is rare for driving mocs as sidewalks chew through them. I'd be willing to bet they were bought on sale on a trip to the US, worn once or twice, deemed too large or too small, and then sold to me. Some new shoes on sale racks have more wear.

Doesn't it feel good to pay less!










21 comments:

  1. I LOVE Wendy! The first time I met her she stayed at my house with Barry and we had a great great time! Okay there were too many Ste. Germain cocktails but we were celebrating finally meeting each other. I haven't had a hangover like that in years... but it was worth it!
    Not a "real single mother", whaaat? I don't even understand what that term means. Some people!
    We are shopping twins, I bought some Ferragamo driving mocs on ebay and I adore them. Mine were $180 not $18 so not such the deal. Now we just need nice weather to wear them!
    I have a Lilac Diptyque on my nightstand and I didn't even know they were discontinued, very disappointing. You are getting the good intel from The Soap Guy, the kind of intel you just can't get online.
    Thanks for reminding me to get out my Easter decorations. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you ladies and your cocktails! No wonder you are so fabulous!

      Can't wait to wear those driving mocs. At least there was some sun today!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes you gotta laugh re comments!!

    I have decided this is the year I will consign or ebay. Something needs to be done. I don't think they are that picky here although I am not sure but I know a few people who do the merry go round and sell to fund their new purchases but it does seem like a lot of wheeling and dealing and organization. I am worried it will end up being another thing on my to do list. But I do like that green color of your Ferragamos very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fairly lazy and most things go to the thrift shop but the expensive designery pieces help fund my habit!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I did much better with my search under sofa...3 Sprees, 2 bobby pins, 2 tabs from coke cans, 1 goldfish cracker still in tack, and a pair of fingernail clippers. People are just ridiculously funny aren't they. Great deal on the mocs. Always wishing both you and Wendy well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 coke can tabs: living large! If you collect 100 of them, you can trade them in for a husband I think. Or is it a packet of sea monkeys. I can never remember!

      Delete
  4. Your Easter bits and bobs are absolutely stunning, I don't have anything like that but I have seen an egg which comes with bunny ears and I am coveting it.

    I wonder if your commenter is European? I think there is a different connotation to 'single mother' over here, it tends to mean a woman on her own raising children, with no man in sight/no alimony/no child support and very often on benefits and struggling to make ends meet, it's a very difficult life.
    Obviously I didn't see the original comment and have no idea if it was snark filled, maybe there's a divide, maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given their lack of charm or sophistication, I highly doubt they are European. Perhaps a football hooligan if they are. But I like how you want to give them the benefit of the doubt!

      That bunny ear egg sounds fabulous.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the kind words Jen! it was so much fun to chat with you and pick your brain!

    You have inspired me to pull out the easter things and make it look a little springier here, but I must say the tulips are hanging on with daily trims and that is making the old heart sing!

    Oh My god re: the shoe deal! Love them and the price! I consign here, but there are not a lot of good brands around here so often mine get marked down as if a theory jacket was the equivalent to one from Reitmans! Now I give that stuff to friends!

    I should send some of my things up there!

    As for the single mother comment - I still find that bizarre. I do not understand why people have to say that kind of thing anyway, it's such malarkey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theory = Reitmans. The horror the horror! That settles it: you simply must plan to trip to visit me!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the kind words Jen! it was so much fun to chat with you and pick your brain!

    You have inspired me to pull out the easter things and make it look a little springier here, but I must say the tulips are hanging on with daily trims and that is making the old heart sing!

    Oh My god re: the shoe deal! Love them and the price! I consign here, but there are not a lot of good brands around here so often mine get marked down as if a theory jacket was the equivalent to one from Reitmans! Now I give that stuff to friends!

    I should send some of my things up there!

    As for the single mother comment - I still find that bizarre. I do not understand why people have to say that kind of thing anyway, it's such malarkey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. From what I've seen driving mocs still haven't been able to help a gal execute a parallel park...although we know you leave that to the valet Jen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you. I'll have you know I'm an excellent parallel parker. If they didn't want one to drive up onto the sidewalk, they shouldn't have built it so close to the road.

      Delete
  8. Consignment is the best way to shop and sell, the ultimate in proper re-cycling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Green bins are for amateurs!

      Delete
  9. You are hilarious - the shoes which are gorgeous! I'm round it up to the lowest point -I'm always congratulating myself on "saving money" when I don't buy and lowering the price for myself when I do. Not a "proper" single mother?/ Oh Lordy!!!Gosh do we have to all mopey and bloopy to be considered mothers at all? (Someone called me the Slacker Mum) I can't imagine your day and I have so much admiration that you do it all with such grace and chic and honesty and larfs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love your math. And if you are the Slacker Mum, I'm in trouble!!

      Delete
  10. Just found your blog….now need to find time to read all the past posts! Don't give up on the Classic films….my "little ones" now 26, 24, and 20 are very glad they were required to watch. Youngest is a Film, Television and Theatre major and all her professors are amazed with her knowledge of classic Hollywood;
    middle son had a very nice article in paper citing his love of Casablanca as quite the oddity in a college football player; and eldest daughter came up with a great gift idea; a set of their favorite black and white movies of their own. They will thank you in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for inspiring me to keep up with my efforts! Your children sound lovely. Well done, mum!

      Delete
  11. I am laughing out loud! Isn't it amazing the strange comments we single mothers hear? As if we all have to be clones of each other. Love the sugar egg with the bunny inside. So old fashioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a child I loved the "world inside the candy egg" book so I'm a sucker for sugar eggs in all forms.

      Delete

Thank you, darling!

Happy Saturday and makeup picks!

Hope you are all having a great week. It's been rainy-gloomy here. I want it to snow already! I have my snow tires on and my four whee...