Weddings Shows, Renos, and Pema Chodron

So, I attended my first wedding show. I do not like crowds or acrylic lace, so I opted to attend the spendy Wedluxe show at the Carlu rather than the massive convention centre wedding show that was going on the same weekend.

Look at the fancy lemon floral display. You do not get that at the convention centre...

A lot of pushy bridezillas with massive Chanel bags were in attendance but my daughter/maid of honour and I must have been among the bridezilliest as we got our experience passport fully stamped: hair and makeup, food stations, bouquets, lattes, cupcakes, and swag.





I talked to the good people at Valencienne, because fabric. I want a dress with really nice heirloom lace and there are only a few salons in Toronto that specialize in that.

I do not want to deny myself the whole 'say yes to the dress' experience, so on the way home, we hit a salon to try on the type of dresses you find in bridal magazines.

I cannot believe what a feat of engineering there is to your run-of-the-mill wedding dress.  The sample sizes are huge so there is a lot of fabric involved in the trying on. And a lot of spandex buckle things that suck you in and jack you up. Imagine a dress designed by Buckminster Fuller and you'll get the idea. I'm not sure I require that much architecture in a dress but I also don't want to go the slip dress route a la Jenny Packham. Been there, done that. This ain't my first rodeo, after all.

Right now, I'm loving a heavy lace sheath dress along the lines of this Oscar de la Renta beauty:



Sadly, the dress is no longer made. There are some that are close-but-no-cigar, so I may have to look into having something made. I basically need a bolt of antique lace and staple gun to get the look I want. I want to pair it with a jacket. I'm thinking a classic Saint Laurent tuxedo sort of deal.

The other look that appeals is something glitzy since I'm getting married on New Year's Eve. I'm thinking something along these lines (Oscar had some really good years...)


Trying on dresses is fun so I plan to do that for a month or two and then I have to decide if I'm getting something made.

In addition to Pinteresting my little heart out, I'm enjoying binge watching Rehab Addict. We are possibly going to buy an income property at some point (although timing the blinking markets is impossible) and I'd like to get something historic in a gentrifying area to fix up. I have tons of respect for Rehab Addict's Nicole Curtis's design philosophies as I hate it when people knock down old homes and put up something new and tacky. We have an abundance of that in this town. I'm kind of loving Hamilton right now for old house potential. We will continue to live in Oakville as this is where our lives are, but I'd not mind commuting to The Hammer to keep an eye on a rental property.

Of course, I have to get my book written first... Slowly, slowly catchee monkey, as they say. The book is a little bit about forgiveness so I've been speed reading Pema Chödrön. I listen to her in the car on a loop as well, since I think her philosophies are important. I'm not Buddhist, so I don't agree with everything, but I find her outlook appealing. I wish we looked upon suffering as part of life rather than as something that people have brought upon themselves because of some character flaw. There is so much suffering around the mere fact that you are suffering, which seems very messed up. Of course simple acceptance of the hard things in life is difficult too.

I hope you are having a productive January. I'm very pleased that there is now snow. I have yet to ski this year as it poured with rain last weekend, but I'm skiing this weekend if it means driving to Banff.

I hope you have an excellent week, kittens,











14 comments:

  1. Daughter and I have been watching "say yes to the dress" for years now you get to live it! Very excited for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be fun. My daughter wants to be on that show (the Canadian version) but I'm pretty sure the producers would make me look like the wicked witch. I just don't think one should spend $3,000 on polyester and would have trouble keeping my opinions to myself!

      Delete
  2. Oh what fun to be doing all of this, I've never heard of the show, I bought the only dress I tried on because I loathe shopping and didn't want any added stress. A bolt of antique lace sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to hear from you, Mrs. B. After the stresses of the last decade, it's nice to turn off the brain for bit and have lace v. silk taffeta as my most pressing issue for a while... xo

      Delete
  3. This is going to be so fun for you and your daughter, she's at the perfect age too. The idea of having a dress made, I love it. I agree, fabric is Key.
    Have a fun weekend, I hope you get some skiing in, it's looking like a good one. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We plan to get some good skiing in for sure!

      Enjoy the sunshine xo

      Delete
  4. Hello Jen,

    Why is it only now that I'm learning that you too have a blog? What a delightful discovery.

    Congrats on your upcoming nuptials and enjoy the arduous process of dress shopping. Sounds like you are off to a good start.

    Happy skiing this week.

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Jen,

    Why is it only now that I'm finding out that you too write a blog? What a delightful discovery!

    Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and enjoy the arduous task of dress shopping. Sounds like you are already off to a good start.

    Happy skiing for this week too!

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Luck with finding your dream wedding dress. I didn't get married until I was forty, and got married in a Chanel suit. I still wear that suit today; 18 years later.

    Kind Regards,
    Donna From Schomberg Ontario

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fabulous. That's one of the options for me too (well, a Chanel jacket over some meringue!) I bet you looked fabulous!

      Delete
  7. ...a staple gun.... Still laughing at that image! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! I so enjoy your blog. I'm up to my ears in packing tape. Yikes!

      Delete

Thank you, darling!

See Hear Love Taping

Happy Monday! Teddy says hello! He loves to chew on just about everything, but his favourites seem to be LL Bean's Wicked Good Sl...