Chez Nous


We have moved. Thank the gods, it was relatively uneventful. (Two moves ago, we had to endure a lot of screaming in Russian about what to do about the broken family piano. Très stressful.) 

The house is big enough to contain the seven of us comfortably, which is saying something. We also have a nice plot of land where the neighbours do not loom over us in a menacing fashion. 



In order to get all of this on a budget in Southeast Oakville, we had to settle for some quirks. 

Like the holy-mother-of-god staircase that greets you at the front door. 



The real estate agent said that it a prospective buyer got a quote for $100,000 to reconfigure the thing due to the almighty catwalk above. 


I think that quote is on glue, but it won't be cheap to fix. So, I'm going to have to live with it. Perhaps we can stage a family production of Cats...

I plan to embrace my inner Carrington and Dynasty it up.




Think of the smug Christmas photo potential! 






Classy (or should I say, Klassy?)


I will need to do something about the lighting, but doing this sucker in Schonbek won't be cheap. Why did I think it was a good idea to leave investment banking to become a writer? 



As many of you know, before joining this three ring circus, Mr. Dwell was busy with three boys of his own. (They were four men/Living all together/Yet they were all alone...) So that means we have 4 boys in the house and three pets. 

I thought of simply taking a permanent room at The Dunes but instead made a She Space out of the dining room. 

Behold my cabinet of curiosities filled with design and self-help books. 




I went to my favourite consignment store and scored this peony floral handmade Barrymore sofa and matching chair for mucho cheapo. 


I think it was owned by one of those little old ladies who covered her sofa in plastic. It still has the order slip attached from 1989, which was the year I graduated from high school. 


Serena approves.



She stole the little pillow for her own bed.




In the moving chaos, I also took on a new writing gig at 1010ParkPlace.com. I write about getting your life back together after your world has fallen apart. Fellow contributor and supermodel Kim Alexis and I are going to be besties, I just know it!

I've also been writing for HuffPo about the fresh hell of moving

Now, I'm tired from all of the bragging. 

Time to unpack the rest of the booze and have a nap. 



20 comments:

  1. The staircase, I agree, you just have to go for it! It will be fun to buy gowns that you can wear while walking slowly down those stairs, and I'm thinking flowing kimono type caftan things for daytime. Love your room of your own, and such the deal with the Barrymore sofa and chair? They make a terrific sofa, we have one in our family room, gorgeous and tailored yet comfy. And I love the print on yours, gosh you're right I think it must have been covered in plastic?
    Well it sounds like the move hasn't slowed you down one bit, so busy, it's good! Dying over Serena looking so cute. XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Barrymore. My favourite chair is Barrymore so I figured it was a smart buy. I did just buy a kimono as they seem to be a thing for spring. I will have to wear it while wafting down the stairs! xo

      Delete
  2. as they say no news is good news!

    You totally scored with the furniture and don't you have the perfect model for it too. Serena is gorgeous and I think she knows it :)

    I wish you all the best in your new abode and off to read your huff post piece x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serena definitely knows it! xo

      Delete
  3. Love this!! So happy you are IN your new home. Now let the fun begin. That staircase is mighty impressive. I'm sure you could easily launch a holiday version of The Brady Bunch from that spot. I'd buy tickets! ;)
    I'm off to check you out on HUFFPO--big fan!
    Happy Weekend, Jen!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats. It's going to be a very lovely/loving home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That staircase is pretty amazing!! Klassy all the way! Congrats on your new gig at 1010. Brenda is an amazing woman. I love your space in the dining room. Very chic. Just like you. I'm so happy for you Jen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That means a lot!

      Delete
  6. Love the sofa - those old ladies that value their furniture and don't actually use it are a god send at consignment shops and auctions.
    Well done on the fairly painless move, and for embracing your inner Dynasty actress with the stairs :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'll have to use a lot more hairspray!

      Delete
  7. Please follow up with a glam fam photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do. Will have coordinating outfits this Christmas! xo

      Delete
  8. Nothing wrong with a dramatic staircase! Glad your move was smooth. Serena is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She is a character.

      Delete
  9. I have a small she room that I call the mama cave. You just need your own space. Sounds like you have embarked on quite the house adventure. enjoy. Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the mama cave concept. I do need my own space! xo

      Delete
  10. That staircase definitely needs featuring up, even if only in fiction. I can imagine dinner party entrances, Xmas balls, that's dances not baubles, and whodunit murder mysteries as bodies topple over the balcony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, it may have to feature in the novel. xo

      Delete

Thank you, darling!

Happy Saturday and makeup picks!

Hope you are all having a great week. It's been rainy-gloomy here. I want it to snow already! I have my snow tires on and my four whee...