Mother's Day, the Kentucky Derby, and how to throw a party in the middle of moving




I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day. I used to never wish anyone Happy Mother's Day. It was my most hated holiday when I was going through fertility treatments. Now I love it and, although I'm sensitive that it's a painful day for some, I have started to allow myself to celebrate it. I'm learning that it's OK to love the things that I love even if they aren't available to everyone.

We are settling in nicely to Casa Dwell. The day we moved in, I decided that throwing a party would create a nice forcing function to encourage us to unpack. So I invited a small group of around 50 to watch the Kentucky Derby with us this past Saturday. Of course, it was chilly and raining on and off so everyone was inside and you know what? It was marvellous. I set some brie on fire, making my pretty blue lined oven look old and terrible right away, but thankfully I had the wherewithal to have caterers do almost everything else. We made Mint Juleps with the assistance of a guest who is Kentucky born and bred and they were fabulous. My daughter made up a starting grid so people could guess who would win. It was lots of fun and people got quite into it, wearing all manner of fancy hat. I think this will become an annual thing.






In fashion news, I treated myself to Mansur Gavriel bucket bag to celebrate moving, starting my writing gig at 1010ParkPlace, and being accepted as a professional member of PWAC (which means I'm an official writer now.) The bag is pretty (look at that red lining!) and functional and I've received lots of compliments already. It seems like a very good purchase.



We are in the middle of selling Mr. Dwell's house, which is never great for the manicure. (An expression, of course, I actually hate manicures!) And we now have five kids and two dogs under one roof. So far, there has only been one small scrape when Serena decided to let Sailor, the Portuguese Water Dog, know who's boss when he thought her Kentucky Derby costume was a toy. (She was wearing it at the time!) Serena remains the alpha and all is right in her world. The rest of us are falling in line...

I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day if you celebrate and are having a marvellous May.


7 comments:

  1. So much to comment on Jen - firstly glad the move went well, but wow, you were brave to host a party! It always takes me about 3 months to settle in properly and unpack in my house, so maybe hosting the party would be a good incentive next time for me?!
    That jockey on dog getup is hilarious! And love your new bag, very chic and the contrast lining colour is fab xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I find I need a forcing function to keep me motivated and a party is a great one! Serena was quite popular in her outfit. I'm lucky she's so patient. xo

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on having a Derby Party! Yay! Great bag too. Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You offered lots of inspiration. xo

      Delete
  3. I know, I try and be sensitive too re Mum's Day. I just stayed in bed and read which was heaven. Being out and scrambling for a breakfast table with the heavensents squabbling is not my idea of a good idea.
    Lovely party, well done you. doesn't it always just give you a great deadline to pull it all together??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading in bed is a perfect day! I am a deadline person. When I'm not writing for someone else, I have to trick myself into doing anything.

      Delete
  4. I love your new bag; especially it's red interior.
    I'm enjoying your posts on 1010 ParkPlace.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, darling!

Chakras for the Chanel Set

Inspired by Chanel Thank you for your kind inquiries into my health. I was at the surgeon yesterday and the aftercare doctor ran a ...