Christie Antique Show, Settling In, and Doggy Friends

I hope you are all well. Can you believe it's June? School is almost over. We've been making our summer plans. 

We are finally settling into the new home.. We are really enjoying the yard as it's been a spectacularly warm spring. I am learning to live in a more testosterone-charged household. I wrote about it for 1010ParkPlace.com.


I have a new favourite summer wine with the Château La Tour de l'Évêque rosé. Delicious! 


Love the view from my office. 

The garden has yielded some peonies, which makes me all kinds of happy.



After last year's adventures in red, I'm fully back to Bergdorf Blond. I've cut a few inches off too as I'm wary of that mutton-dressed-as-lamb thing.






We've done a tiny makeover on the home front with the installation of a new office door. Before, I saw and heard everyone clomping up and down the 1980s Alexis Carrington staircase.




The temporary screen was inadequate as you could still see and hear everything.




Voila! A 100 year old mahogany church door from The Door Store was installed. It's high gloss black in my office to pair with the chinoiserie lacquered sideboard.





On the flip side, it's showing off its natural patina.



Mr. Dwell's House has sold!



We now just have the one house, although I have my eye on some income properties in Hamilton. I love that town! Not only do they have Locke Street and Aberdeen, but they also have fries on the beach!



I'll be happy to not have house or moving stress for a while, though. It's driven me to absinthe! We went to Bar Isabel in Toronto for one of the boys' birthdays. They know how to serve absinthe correctly, which is not something that can always be assumed.  I also ate my body weight in cured meats. I'll chalk it all up to stress.





One of my favourite events of the year is the twice-annual antiques show at Christie Conservation Area, which we attended last weekend.



I loved these cheese and ammunition boxes but could not figure out a home for them.





This year, there was an extra special treat as Carol Tanenbaum Vintage Jewelry was at the show.



I forgot to take a bunch of pictures because I was too busy pawing through all the finds. This little Dior piece followed me home.



There may or may not have been poutine consumed. It was not entirely authentic (shredded cheese rather than curds) but we managed to make do.




This weekend, I braved the outlet mall in Halton. I have trouble with crowds so we got there when it opened. I scored some Tory Burch outlet finds. It was $130 for a dress, pants and a tunic top. Crazy bargains.



















My kids got some cute things for summer. And Mr. Dwell did well too. Still, I can only do that every so often. I prefer to shop online.

I finished Pictures of You. After finishing Cruel Beautiful World, I wanted to read more Caroline Leavitt. It's a beautifully told story about the complexity of grief and if you are looking for something to read, I highly recommend it.

How cute are these two? Serena and Sailor have become best friends, and spend all day walking around the house as a duo.



I hope you are having a marvellous start to June and have some fun plans in place for summer. 

Take care,

10 comments:

  1. Fries on the beach, what could be bad?? :) This post is full of good stuff! Love the Bergdorf blond hair, the peonies, the view + new library door and that those two pups have become fast friends. Life is good!!
    Happy Sunday, Jen.
    xx, Heather
    PS-thanks for your kind words on the fire outback at our house and, more importantly, for my friend/boss who lost her son. It has been a sad time, but I am looking toward Italy, retirement and more fun come July! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fries on the beach is a very good thing. Thank you for your comment. There is lots of good stuff on the horizon for both of us this year. I'm feeling very grateful!

      Delete
  2. Okay why did I think you didn't have a personal blog? I clicked on your profile once a while ago and feel like it didn't lead here! I am glad to have found you! Forgive my tardiness.
    I will look into your rosé rec as my old standby chateau de campuget is having a bad year. No absinthe for me though. I got in a lottttt of trouble with it once and have no use for it nowadays! I've been wanting to come up there and go antiquing and exploit the disparity in our dollars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept switching blog homes for a while but am here for good. So glad you found me! Absinthe can lead to lots of trouble indeed. I only drink it with family now. You should definitely come to Canada with your weighty greenbacks. We'd love to host you. Just bring that tremendous sense of humour of yours!

      Delete
  3. my last comment disappeared so take two! i love your blonde shade you have vbeen such a busy bee but so exciting Jen. rose and fries look good and i would have them together but those fries can stand alone i presume? How cute are the duo - you should get them capes and they could easily save the world :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! They would make good superheroes as long as the villains did not distract them with meat: it's their kryptonite!

      Delete
  4. That comment of yours that you're learning to live in a more testosterone fuelled house, and then the picture of the wine is a perfect juxtaposition I think!
    Love the door, and so glad to hear you're getting settled in.
    Also love that Dior brooch. Great find! I love an antique market as you may well be aware. Also, I don't think you have anything to worry about being muttony with the hair - you're far too young still! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet, Heidi but I must remain ever vigilant on the mutton front. And yes, rose is a must when in Boy World!

      Delete
  5. I somehow missed this post and there are so many fab things in it... blonde hair, rose, poutine, amazing door (it looks so good), Dior necklace and the two pups as best friends, love the image of them patrolling the house all day. My gosh so cute.
    I've never been to that antique show but maybe next year I could meet you there, my pals Christopher and Jonathan go every year even though they will soon be suffocating themselves with antiques.
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my favourite show. They do one in the fall too, which is particularly great. Love to attend with you! I'm sure you'd spot some great things with that discerning eye of yours! xo

      Delete

Thank you, darling!

See Hear Love Taping

Happy Monday! Teddy says hello! He loves to chew on just about everything, but his favourites seem to be LL Bean's Wicked Good Sl...