Weekend getaway


Mr. Dwell and I had a little weekend getaway to Port Stanley. The Mr had worked at the Port Stanley Festival Theatre one summer and we thought it might be fun to revisit his old stomping ground. Plus, it's a beach town and that's always a good thing. 


We stayed at the Kettle Creek Inn. 


It's a charming inn (think Gilmore Girls) and our suite was lovely, with a cute fireplace in the living room.


We had a lovely balcony overlooking the gardens where we could sit and read. 


The food was excellent. I ordered the Heritage Greens with Lake Erie pickerel and it was a beautiful meal. 




(The ever-present rosé.) 

Apparently, you have not been to Port Stanley until you've had ice cream at Broderick's Ice Cream Parlour.

Well, one doesn't want to mess around with a rule like that. 


The play we saw at The Port Stanley Festival Theatre was The Ladies Foursome, which is a light  comedy. It was really quite good. It also provides some great insights into female friendships in one's forties. It's well worth seeing if it rolls through your town.


The inn provided a hearty breakfast the next morning. I had the fresh blueberry bagels with cream cheese, fruit, yogurt, and a bit of apple cinnamon loaf. 

We went for a morning walk on the beach. I'm not a sun person but I love the ocean and Lake Erie is large enough that it feels rather ocean-like. Apparently Port Stanley is a madhouse on long weekends in the summer but on a Sunday morning it's very peaceful. I always feel so much better after I've been by the water for a bit. 


We ate lunch at Mackie's, which is a beach burger shack that has been around since the Mr. was in school. The fresh perch sandwich is fantastic if you are to find yourself having trouble deciding what to order. 



We then drove into nearby Sparta. I was expecting Thermopylae but there were just a couple of quaint little shops. I've been lusting after the adorable fuzzy chicks that Sheila, of My Kentucky Living, had on her Easter table and, wouldn't you know it, the Sparta Candle Shop had a pair! 


They will make my Easter table festive next year (once I find the rest of the decorations, of course!) 


We stopped by Moore Water Gardens where we had a Monet moment. 






I'm not as discipline a packer as DaniBP, but I did build a theme mainly around blue and white, wearing my Anthropologie tunic with my Milly for Banana Republic shorts and my Candy Shop Vintage Elephants on Parade necklace (I get compliments on this necklace every time I wear it.)




To the theatre I wore an ancient Alfred Sung for Zellers (!) dress I bought years ago and it's so wearable that I take it every time I travel. You just throw it in the washing machine and it is as good as new. I pair it with a Brooks Brothers Cashmere cardigan I bought years ago. It's that gorgeous smooth, not fuzzy, cashmere and it hand washes beautifully. I wish I bought one in every colour at the time.
















The next day, I wore a navy cotton striped dress from Montreal's Boutique 1861. They have cute pieces for a great price. They seem to be out of this dress there now, but its available at ASOS in some sizes.




I carry my LV Eva whenever I travel since you can wear it as a cross-body bag or remove the strap and wear it as an evening bag with the little gold chain.




















I was not sure if we would get in a dip in the lake so I brought along my beach bag. It's H&M and I sewed some 1960s raffia pompoms I took off a bedraggled vintage children's hat I found. That's about as crafty as it gets for me, my friends.




Serena's a fan of the raffia pom poms too.




I find that weekends are so much longer and more relaxing when one is able to get away. After all of the moving and to-ing and fro-ing of the kids, we needed a bit of R&R and were lucky to find time to work this in.

I hope you had a fabulous weekend. Wishing you a happy and productive week!

10 comments:

  1. Port Stanley sounds like a lovely place for a weekend away with the hubs or friends! Looks like you planned your trip to the beach at the right time because there was not a soul on that beautiful beach.
    Lucky for you two! I'm in love with your DIY beach bag! It's adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a perfect getaway. I love an almost empty beach! I'm not a DIYer so I was very pleased with the beach bag. I really appreciate your kind words. xo

      Delete
  2. reminds me to get my summer bags out!

    lake erie pickle? I didn't know there was so many types of canadian food i have never heard of. Is it fried? Perch sandwich sounds good. Here is to a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. We have lots of lake and river fish, poutine (fries, gravy and cheese curd), beaver tails (fried dough with cinnamon sugar) and bannock (pan fried bread). I think that's it for Canadiana but I love it all! I had the pickerel pan-seared with cajun spice. Very tasty!

      Here's to a great summer indeed!! xo

      Delete
  3. Your beach bag is fantastic, I think you are very skilled with crafts! What a lovely weekend, I've never been to Port Stanley but I grew up on Lake Erie and there's nothing like being by water. I miss it all the time. I will have to get there one weekend and stay at that inn. Your dinner looked amazing.
    Lovely outfits too and thanks for the mention... a cross body bag is so handy for travel, I just got one for my birthday from my hubs and I love it, it will come in very handy on our August holiday.
    That elephant necklace is everything! And how amazing the Alfred Sung for Zellers dress, it's like a magic dress. XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you. Port Stanley is quite charming. Lake Erie is lovely. I've not spent much time there but plan to go back! I thought I'd borrow a page from your colour stories and be more planful with my packing. It worked out very well! xo

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, those beach photos are lovely - it does look like the ocean! I agree that getting away for a weekend is so very restful - especially after a move. The Kettle Creek Inn also looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel well rested for the first time in months! Thanks for your comment. xo

      Delete
  5. Port Stanley looks like a nice place for a dreamy and relaxing weekend. Oh, that beach! I was so disappointed when I moved to Northern California. I was expecting hot waters to be flowing by our beaches, much like hot countries around the Mediterranean I'd previously visited. No such luck! Absolutely frigid waters here, and much colder than in the UK would you believe.

    Loved your crafty beach bag. It's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been in those waters in Northern California. Beautiful but chilly! The lake gets much warmer I think. I'm not crafty but wanted a pom pom bag and where there's a will, there's a way! xo

      Delete

Thank you, darling!

See Hear Love Taping

Happy Monday! Teddy says hello! He loves to chew on just about everything, but his favourites seem to be LL Bean's Wicked Good Sl...