A Review of Alice Hoffman's Faithful: A Novel





I just finished Alice Hoffman's beautiful book, Faithful: A Novel. I love Alice Hoffman's work. Her use of magic realism tempers otherwise gritty subjects, allowing what could be depressing material to read as hopeful. Her latest novel focuses on a young woman who is consumed with self-loathing after her friend is killed. The book follows her on a healing journey that stays true to each character and avoids veering into sentimentality, which can sometimes happen in books of this nature. I fell in love with Hoffman's not-always-likeable protagonist and I think you will too. It's a perfect read for this time of year.

2 comments:

  1. I will read it , thank you for the recommendation. I always love your book picks. I'm still reading Commonwealth and then I'm on to some Michael Chabon for my next book club, I don't always find his work page-turning so I have to give myself lots of time.
    Have a great weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice grew up on Long Island and has a dangerously devoted following. No matter where she sets a story one can recognize a local road or landmark. I still remember the outrage that filled the the movie theatre when it became apparent that "Practical Magic" had been translated from a small 2-bedroom house in a development to a beautifully restored Victorian palace in that well-known pocket of wealth, Nantucket. During the entire film there was a low and angry chant of "That was not in the book," with "The book was better" as descant.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, darling!

Serena and Decorating and Crystals, Oh My!

Happy end of May! For my Canadian readers, I hope you had a lovely Victoria Day weekend. It was a bit rainy here but still nice to have the...