The Wedding Post

So, I'm a Mrs. now. Actually, I've been so for a few weeks. We did the whole secret wedding thing like the Hollywood kids do. Just kids, my parents, and the minister.

There are no photos of the actual event. Lesson learned: if you have something really important to document, hire someone. Thankfully, we hired a fabulous photog for our New Year's Eve celebration so there are lots of pictures of that.

I wore the Club Monaco Brionia dress in navy with feathers. I wore it with a black half birdcage veil like Jennifer Lawrence wore at the Met Ball a few years ago.

After, we went to a local restaurant. They have a curtained-off section so it was nice and private.

Since we had organized a wedding for New Year's Eve, we decided to not tell anyone and simply surprise them at the church. The minister was happy to do a renewal of our vows.

I'd planned to wear a traditional gown but decided over Christmas that I hated my wedding dress.


It's a nice enough dress, but even with the vintage YSL Le Smoking jacket I had, it looked too bride-y. Thankfully, I'd bought it off a sample rack so I had not invested too much.

On boxing day, I scored a gold sequinned Badgely Mischka dress and an Adrienne Landeau knit jacket at Saks at Sherway. I wore it with a Jennifer Behr Gold headband.

Voila!


Photo: Tara Muhlberghuber


I was going for a gold Gatsby-esque vibe. (The hats are NYE party favours provided by our DJ but they suited the overall look!)

We got married at St Jude's Church in Oakville. The wedding had a small hiccup when the minister was pulled over in a RIDE program and breathalyzed. Perhaps the collar made him look suspicious! Thankfully he was sober as a judge and sent on his way and we were only a few minutes late.

The reception was at Harding Waterfront Estates. I used to babysit for the grandson of the woman who built the house so it was a nice connection.

Plus, the house is apparently haunted, which you know I love.



It was a super fun night. No speeches. No rubber chicken sit down dinner. Lots of fun food. And six mini wedding cakes.

At midnight, we had fireworks. Because the town owns the property, we had to use a professional fireworks company. Spendy but very worth it! They shot fireworks over Lake Ontario.

Right after midnight, we snuck off to the King Edward hotel.

The next day, we got the kids established with the grandparents and headed to Miami on the 2nd. We stayed at The Redbury, which is a fun place in South Beach. If you have a chance to stay at an SBE hotel, do. They are very nice and a super good value.

Then we boarded our cruise ship: the Crystal Serenity. I Instagrammed our adventures. The only cruise I've taken before this one is on Disney. While it was wonderful for the kids, it's not my cup of tea. Crystal takes cruising to a whole new level. Single malt scotch, sushi by Nobu chefs, lectures on Brexit and Trump, Magic Castle magicians, movies, West End and Broadway performers, afternoon tea. They even had poppyseed strudel: my favourite. Our itinerary was Miami, Cozumel, Belize City, Costa Maya, and Key West.

And the service! Several of the crew seemed to know my name. They literally would not let me lift a finger and made sure my champagne glass was always full.

Every day there was a new fun cocktail. They had St-Germain. Obviously I was in heaven.

Did I mention the poppyseed strudel?

There were ports, although honestly, we rarely left the ship. We've been on a zillion beaches and wanted to take advantage of the warm weather on the boat. We stayed on board and had massages and glasses of good wine.

The only excursion we took was to see monkeys in Belize. I love monkeys but had a less than satisfactory experience with them in Thailand. This was the monkey redemption tour. We saw Howler monkeys who live in a protected preserve. Thankfully the zoom lens on my camera was working well since we were not allowed to get too close.


It was a magical week of luxury and pampering. The ocean always makes me so very happy. It's hard to get back to the real world.

I'm now focusing on my writing, and getting the Lunenburg house ready for the summer. Last year was quite rough in many ways so I'm focusing on some self-care. Exercise, good food, meditation. Over the break I read Hi, Anxiety: Life With a Bad Case of Nerves and Wishful Drinking. They left me with the clear message that I need to get my anxiety under wraps. I'm reading The Universe Has Your Back: Transform Fear to Faith and am re-reading The Art of Extreme Self-Care: Transform Your Life One Month at a Time. My mantra for 2017 is Rise Above. There are a lot of turkeys out there and I really don't want them to bring me down any more. I need to focus on the good eggs in the world, and on my family, and my work. I need to focus a lot more on the things for which I'm grateful. Over time I hope the good drowns out the bad. The house by the sea will be playing a key role in my healing, hence the blog name change.

I hope 2017 holds out a lot of promise for you too.






16 comments:

  1. Here's to a fantastic 2017. Way to get it started right. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, salt water heals everything! Really love the new blog title and your plans for the year. We're planning a couple of ocean trips this year too, south in March and Newfoundland in August.
    So happy for you and your Mr. What a beautiful wedding and both of your dress picks, navy feathers and then Gatsby Gold, were fabulous. The cruise sounds like it was just the perfect thing too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Jen. It looks like you had a wonderful day and a fantastic honeymoon. I wish you two all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jen, congratulations on your wedding - I love both of your wedding outfits. Navy feathers! Gatsby gold! You were inspired! Here's wishing you and your new hubby and the whole family a very Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all - proper Congratulations! I could feel the festive fun and warmth through IG even. You look beautiful and your outfits only added to your radiance. I have a love hate with cruises. It is so convenient but your route looked nice and warm. I had a small affair too and don't regret it for one second. Wishing you all the best x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Naomi. I'd written off cruises after Disney but loved Crystal and will definitely be doing another one. Xo

      Delete
  7. Congratulations Jen! I'm not sure how I lost track of your blog, but I'm thrilled to find you again. Those books sounds right up my alley. You always do have the very best suggestions. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Happy to see you here. I need to stop moving around I guess! xo

      Delete
  8. Hi Jen,
    I followed the festivities on IG but wanted to send you best wishes on the blog. You looked GORGEOUS!! Nothing like a luxurious honeymoon to get a couple started off on the right foot. So happy for you both!! I have a feeling this will be a fabulous year for you. :)
    xx, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, hearty congratulations Mr & Mrs. Such a lovely photo of you both looking extremely happy.

    I love your mantra for 2017.

    Happy New Year to you and wishing you all the best for a happy marriage.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, darling!

Chakras for the Chanel Set

Inspired by Chanel Thank you for your kind inquiries into my health. I was at the surgeon yesterday and the aftercare doctor ran a ...