Sunspot Solutions

Whenever I bump into people I know from the yoga studio or gym in the real world, they always seem to take a minute to recognize me. I have a fairly generic Middle-Aged-Stepford-Wife look so I've always attributed it to that. But recently, I had dinner with a woman from my gym and when I sat down, she did a double take. "Wow!" she said, in a way that was less "you look good" and more "you look like a totally different person."

Apparently, I am one of those people who looks really different when I'm wearing makeup and have my hair hot rollered. I have quite a few sunspots and I go from mottled drowned rat to English Rose with a hot shower and a few sweeps of my concealer stick.

I find the array of available make-up overwhelming and I'm always fascinated to peek in other women's makeup bags. Over the years of reading makeup blogs and magazines, I've come up with my current mix:

Chanel Perfection Concealer in 10 (to cover sunspots)
Chanel Les Beiges Blush in 21 (swept on apples of cheeks)
Laura Mercier Shimmer Bloc Pink Mosaic (layered over blush stick: when you are as pale as I am, you need to layer your blush!)
Cle de Peau Concealer in Ivory (under the eye and in inner corner of eye.)
Laura Mercier Caviar Stick in Tuxedo (to line eyes)
Blinc Mascara in Black (top and bottom - this stuff will not give you panda eyes)
Bobbi Brown Natural Brow Shaper in Brunette (I tissue off the wand so I don't look like Ernie/Burt)

I just slap it all on in 5 minutes. I choose pretty idiot proof stuff. Lash curlers and tight-lining and eye shadow are only for Fancy Dress nights.

On those sunspots: apparently, they are from wearing aviator glasses my whole life. The skinny non-protective, reflecting arms create a lot of sun damage on women. I had the spots YAG lasered several years ago. It was expensive and painful and after I spent two weeks healing, looking like someone on Botched, I looked about the same. I know there are lots of other lasers available, and I have done IPL, but I find that concealer is really a lot easier. Plus a lot of sunscreen, which I now sport daily, year round.

I also try to wear larger arm sunglasses when I'm outside a lot (although I still love my gold aviators!) I'm thinking of trying out these Warby Parkers by Amanda de Cadenet. (I'm a Warby Parker affiliate, so if you buy them through my site, I get credit.) I love the pink. So cheerful for spring and fabulous on pale blondes.



Amanda de Cadenet is a very cool and talented lady and does midlife beautifully. If you have not seen her interviews on The Conversation, they are fabulous. A percentage of sales supports #girlgaze, which aims to get more women behind the camera.

Anyhow, if you are looking for a pair of glasses, these look  quite cute and are a decent price. In the words of Mean Girls's Gretchen, all of their styles are quite Fetch. (Why did that not become a thing?)






1 comment:

  1. These are darling! I may need these. Being a blonde/silver makes dark frames overpower my coloring.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, darling!

Serena and Decorating and Crystals, Oh My!

Happy end of May! For my Canadian readers, I hope you had a lovely Victoria Day weekend. It was a bit rainy here but still nice to have the...