Books and more books and Missing Richard Simmons

Happy Friday!

Has anyone else been listening to the podcast Missing Richard Simmons? It's fascinating stuff. I met Richard Simmons once -- in Paris, of all places. My mother and I were staying at the Park Hyatt at Place Vendôme back in 2011 and he was running around in the lobby wearing a white suit and a giant pair of feathered angel wings. He was lovely. I'd been robbed in Paris the day before (at Ladurée on the Champs-Élysées - on the second floor in their restaurant while I waited for the waiter to fiddle around with my credit card) and was feeling fairly fragile. And there he was, like a guardian angel. He seemed really lovely and I hope his story turns out well.

Park Hyatt

I finished reading Everything Beautiful Is Not Ruined. If you have a teenaged girl, I'd recommend it. It explores the mother-daughter relationship beautifully. I went to high school with the author, Danielle Younge-Ullman and it's funny to read fictionalized accounts of some real things that happened at school.  It's also an elegant portrayal of depression, which is not something a lot of writers handle well. It's a beautiful book.



I'm featuring Abby Fabiaschi's I Liked My Life: A Novel at the 1010ParkPlace.com book club on March 14. Here is the description:

Maddy is a devoted stay-at-home wife and mother, host of excellent parties, giver of thoughtful gifts, and bestower of a searingly perceptive piece of advice or two. She is the cornerstone of her family, a true matriarch...until she commits suicide, leaving her husband Brady and teenage daughter Eve heartbroken and reeling, wondering what happened. How could the exuberant, exacting woman they loved disappear so abruptly, seemingly without reason, from their lives? How they can possibly continue without her? As they sift through details of her last days, trying to understand the woman they thought they knew, Brady and Eve are forced to come to terms with unsettling truths.
Maddy, however, isn’t ready to leave her family forever. Watching from beyond, she tries to find the perfect replacement for herself. Along comes Rory: pretty, caring, and spontaneous, with just the right bit of edge...but who also harbors a tragedy of her own. Will the mystery of Maddy ever come to rest? And can her family make peace with their history and begin to heal?

It's a fabulous read. My Kindle copy is filled with notes and I was lucky enough to be able to ask Abby a bunch of questions. Sometimes, I really like my job.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend. We have a fairly quiet one planned with the exception of the Ariana Grande concert. I'm expecting a zillion screaming teens in rabbit ears. Which will, of course, be awesome.

xo





2 comments:

  1. Richard Simmons really isn't a fraud - one year or maybe two but years of cheer can not be faked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. He seems to have a genuinely warm heart.

      Delete

Thank you, darling!

See Hear Love Taping

Happy Monday! Teddy says hello! He loves to chew on just about everything, but his favourites seem to be LL Bean's Wicked Good Sl...