Casting away stress

Greetings, y'all

We are two weeks away from departing to NS. In that time, we have to make all the final choices for the renovation here, set up anything we need before we arrive there, have two graduations, get one kid off to camp... Plus, I'm trying to do what I need to do with one good eye. I'm still not comfortable highway driving since it's harder to shoulder check and I get a bit dizzy a higher speeds. And reading and writing are harder so everything is done at a glacially slow pace.

It's all a bit stressful.

I sat down to watch Joyce Meyer because I LOVE her. I know people criticize her for having a jet but if I had the means, I'd for sure have a jet too. Anything to avoid the germs associated with commercial air travel! I love Meyer's public persona: quick, straight-talking, observant, doesn't suffer fools...

The show I'd taped was on de-stressing, which seemed particularly good timing.

She offers five tips, based on 1 Peter 5:7: "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." Isn't that good advice? I always get a fly fishing image in my head.




1. "Learn to practice shrug therapy." Meyer implores us not to get upset over things we can't control. She says we need to learn to shrug a whole lot more, much like my favourite passage from Atlas Shrugged, where Francisco d'Anconia is explaining his philosophy to Mr. Rearden:

If you saw Atlas, the giant who holds the world on his shoulders, if you saw that he stood...his arms trembling but still trying to hold the world aloft with the last of his strength, and the greater his effort the heavier the world bore down upon his shoulders - What would you tell him?"
I…don't know. What…could he do? What would you tell him?"
To shrug.
It's not about not caring. It's about not letting the caring kill you. I have a hard time shrugging off injustice, which leaves me stressed out a lot of the time. I need to learn how to cast my cares and shrug.

2. "Stay in your comfort zone." By this, Meyer means to stop doing what you're not good at. I love this advice. I am terrible at organizing events. Terrible. I can't get three people in a room at the same time. So at this time of year, when people are having spring fairs and grads with abandon, I do what I do best. Show up and roll up my sleeves. I can't organize, so I don't. But I can carry stuff and run stuff around. And trouble-shoot. So, now, that's what I do.

3. "Eliminate everything from your schedule that's not bearing good fruit." Oh, I love this. Cheryl Richardson writes about the concept of giving up good for great. I love to free up my schedule of things that do not delight me and leave space for better options.

4. "Exercise." Preach! I'm so looking forward to getting back into an exercise routine. I let everything drop with the great eye disaster.

5. "Take time to relax and do things you enjoy." Can I get an Amen?

Here is the full episode if you are into that sort of thing.



If you like numbered lists, my latest for HuffPo is about 10 ways to make your summer more spiritual.

Take care!

XO






2 comments:

  1. Hi Jen, I enjoyed the list above and your HuffPo article - although I have to say that I, too, find no. 1 very difficult, but I'm trying. I couldn't get through the video though - seeing that huge crowd put me off; when we go to church there's usually fewer than 100 people there!

    By the way, this morning I read a blog post that I think you might find interesting. This blogger lives in Edmonton and she went through Lasik surgery a couple of months ago. Her experience has been better than yours, but she has still had some challenges.

    http://bluecollarredlipstick.com/2017/06/eight-things-you-need-to-know-about-lasik%EF%BB%BF/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We go to a church with 1000s so I'm used to the football stadium look lol Thank you for the link. I'm going to check that out. I'm originally from Edmonton so I'll enjoy the content I'm sure! xo

      Delete

Thank you, darling!

See Hear Love Taping

Happy Monday! Teddy says hello! He loves to chew on just about everything, but his favourites seem to be LL Bean's Wicked Good Sl...